Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Red carpet gig for bitchy blogger


MTV Australia has enlisted Hollywood's bitchiest blogger as a host for next month's Australian Video Music Awards. Perez Hilton, the notorious celebrity gossip blogger whose scathing comments strike fear into the heart of Hollywood, will join Australian export Sophie Monk in interviewing the stars as they stroll down the red carpet at Sydney's Acer Arena on April 29. The 28-year-old self-described "gossip gangsta", whose real name is Mario Lavandeira, has through his site become a celebrity in his own right, and is a stellar example of the fame and influence many A-list bloggers now enjoy. In an interview conducted from his "office" at a coffee shop on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles, the bubbly Hilton boasted of the 5 million visitors who come to his site daily for their celebrity gossip fix. He speculated this massive global audience was what led MTV - which technically competes with Hilton's blog for eyeballs - to his door. "[MTV chose me because] I'm good on camera, because I've proven successful for them in the past, [and] because I have an international audience of my own," he said. "If I was crappy on camera they wouldn't be using me, but I'm entertaining and I'll keep things exciting and dangerous and you won't know what's going to happen with me." MTV Australia's executive producer, Ean Thorley, concurred: "Perez has made a name for himself on a global scale by doing exactly what we need him to do ... commentate on celebrities. Not only has he proven to deliver witty, controversial commentary, he has also demonstrated that he can attract over 4 million visitors to his website a day and keep them coming back." Hilton is regularly sighted in the company of the most famous celebrities, including Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas (the main host of this year's awards), Sienna Miller and Paris Hilton. "I've had everything from Nicole Richie coming up and telling me to call her anorexic to her face, and I've had Tara Reid threaten to throw me in a pool at a party," he told BBC News in a recent interview. Late last year, US celebrity photo agency X17 filed a lawsuit against Hilton alleging he infringed copyright by stealing its pictures for use on his site. Candid celeb snaps are among the blog's most popular features, over which Hilton scrawls crude yet often hilarious comments and drawings. The US litigation could soon spread to Australia, with paparazzo Jamie Fawcett recently telling a Sydney newspaper he too would serve Hilton with court papers, for using his photographs without credit or payment. Hilton responded to Fawcett by directing him to reports showing he had won round two of the $US7.5 million ($9.6 million) case against X17. "People can call me whatever they want ... so long as they continue to visit my website," he said. Hilton said he planned to stay in Sydney for at least a week, and would continue updating his blog with Aussie insights for the duration. "Im very excited to pop my Australian cherry - I want to have a sundae," he said."Maybe I'll find some hot Australian boys to make out with, if I'm lucky."

No comments: